3/21/2005

First date: Shaky

But it’s actually McDowell’s (For copyright purposes, the name of the restaurant would be withheld. You know how sensitive them guys can get).

A Sunday has passed since we first met. Odd conversations through SMS were our only correspondence.

We tried to plan a rendezvous, but none materialized until we agreed just to meet during her shift behind the counter.

Speaking of, she personified the song title Elderly Woman Behind the Counter in a Small Town, although she is nowhere near elderly. She’s actually just 17. Other than that, it’s no bar. It’s a restaurant with a big box of French fries as its entrance. And it’s no small town, either. It’s where the Philippine Sports central nervous system is located.

I let the day pass by watching some NCAA basketball, Serendipity, and WWE Raw. I then dressed up and grabbed a bite. My intestines were turning to knots every now and then.

Best wardrobe in the closet: check. No gel, bring the cap. Bring a book. Grab the keys, and this time, leave home the key chain. It makes the pants pocket bulgy, a fashion no-no.

I was unusually generous in paying the fair (I paid the adult fare), although I think I shortchanged the driver in the P. Faura PUJ by a peso. The public transport to Harrison Plaza had the radio blaring in the station-that-needs-not-to-be-memorized.

An interesting mix that played and I was also unusually tolerant at the same time. Although memories flashed when Sandara Park started “inning and outing”, the song that proceeded brought a smile on my face. It was this French-sounding dance tune that one nerd decided to create a choreography and post his moves on the net.

As I mentioned, I was unusually giddy. I actually laughed at a lame joke. “Knock, knock.” “Who’s there?” “Spell.” “Spell, who?” “W-H-O.” Got me there. Also took a mental note of the “Our German chef said, ‘George, can you taste my Hungarian sausage?’” line I got from Elaigh. Might come in handy.

I ordered the driver to stop and I alighted in front of McGonagall’s. “Sakto,” I muttered.
I felt like walking on clouds, but at the same time, my legs felt like lead. A taxi entering almost caught as I broke to a run towards the entrance.

I surveyed the area. She’s nowhere to be found. Then the manager called her name and she emerged from under the counter. The manager playfully pulled her head and told her to take the orders of a soon-forming queue.

I leisurely lined up at the very back and patiently waited for my turn even if the other counters had shorter lines. By this time, I was a bundle of nerves. I could feel my heart beating. I looked down and saw my chest thumping from within my New Found Glory shirt.

When it was my time to give my order, I gave out this sheepish smile while she reciprocated with a wide grin herself. We were staring for a moment, looking for words to say. “Ano nga ba?” referring to my order was all I could say then gave out another toothy beam.

I went for the usual. Cheeseburger meal. She asked if I want to Go Big Time. I inquired if I could just Upsize the drink without Going Large on the fries. With my stomach in a twirl, I didn’t actually have the appetite of a horse that time.

Had a little moment of chitchat. Queried where I came from. Asked her how she was. Then offered if I should wait for her until closing. She declined, stating that she would go out with her fellow crewmembers with a walk in Baywalk. Besides, they leave at 12mn.

Got my tray, went to the nearest table then sat with my back turned to her. It’s an achievement I didn’t drop my order. I was shaking like a leaf. I could see my burger tremble in my hands.

Mind was racing. Chomped the sandwich in record time. I used the cheeseburger wrapper as catsup saucer for the fries. I usually ask for three packs but it took me five packets to finish an order of medium fries. But we’re getting ahead.

Taking a semblance of control, decided to pick up the book and look for the page I last read. Yeah, Larry Bird’s first games as an Indiana Pacers head coach, I remember.

Was leisurely nibbling my fries and flipping through the biography when the catsup ran out. Went to the counter to ask for more. Unfortunately, she was taking orders. So I had to ask from her companion, Mia. The cleaning crew might get my tray when I’m not through with my meal yet.
Went back to my seat and again took my time. Fries extinguished. Was now sipping my soda to extinction.

Looked at their clock. Only an hour has passed since I entered. It felt like two hours. I already leafed through two chapters. Either the book was good or time just stopped.

I sighted the people beside me tonguing their cones. Decided to give it one more shot but I wouldn’t go for King Cone or McFlurry anymore. Have to budget. Still have a gig to go to (which got cancelled).

“May sundae cone pa kayo?” “Oo, meron.” “Sige, isa.” “Yung may chocolate?” “Ano pinag-kaiba?” “Yung isa may chocolate, yung isa wala.” More exchange of wide grins. “12 pesos. Yung isa ten.” “O sige, yung may chocolate.” “Nasa cone yon, diba?” she remarked. That how was our clumsy exchange went.

She handed me my order. “So, kelan ka next na free?” “Hindi ko alam. Text-text na lang,” she replied. Not the answer I’m actually looking for.

Remember my fear that the crew might dispose my tray? It did happen while I was waiting in line. Good thing I saw him just in time and called him out so that I could retrieve my drink back.
Was now on the chapter in the life of Larry Bird awing coaches, teammates, and fans in college. This guy’s an arrogant prick because he knows he is good, I thought to myself.

After crunching my cone, I was devising of a lame excuse to get to converse with her again. Oh yeah…

Stood up and in front of the counter were a bunch of disgruntled customers clamoring for a rice meal, which unfortunately they don’t offer anymore at that time. As she calmly explained the situation to the irate group, Mia asked what I had in mind.

Asked feebly if they had a washroom. She directed me outside towards Harrison Plaza, which was already closed.

I winced. Hesitated for a moment, then directed Mia to catch her attention. Bade my farewell.
Stopped at Starbucks Vito Cruz to do what I had to do. Also SMSed telling her how an interesting time I had.

Rode a PUJ to EDSA to proceed to Ortigas. Finding out that the gig didn’t push through, alighted at Crossing, then went straight home.

Updated her how she’s doing while listening to the Midnight Countdown, she replied that they didn’t go on with their gimmick. Then I ran out of load.

Dumb luck.


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?