7/26/2005

The ultimate deam bachelor pad

One small room would suffice, as long as it would fit all the equipment in. It doesn’t matter if it’s just a cabin out in the woods, or in a condominium in a busy city. As long as plumbing and sanitation is splendid, electricity is working, and telephone lines are available. Cable tv service is optional (if satellite or HDTV is available, might as well utilize those).

If it’s right in the middle of the urban jungle, might as well buy one that has a nice view when I look out at the window (which doesn’t amount to much), and preferably somewhere on the top floors. For safety purposes.

No tsunami could reach me from the 30th floor. Besides, if power runs out, it’s an excuse for me to power jog using the fire exit stairs. Happened once to me and Glen in Providence. Bringing along a camera, we did a Blair Witch Project-like shot, running down the stairs. A few conversations and 15 floors later, we were already at the exit.

Now for the equipment. A sofa bed for two is adequate, although I reckon the other half wouldn’t put into good use anytime soon. For extreme emergency purposes only. Immaculate white sheets for simplicity, although it needs a lot of maintenance (read: washing).

Flat screen tv (so that it wouldn’t consume much space) with cable or satellite. TIVO and a game console (preferably XBOX or PS3) optional.

Top of the line desktop PC with all the kick-ass specs from a 16MB video card, a sound card that would emulate DTS with matching booming speakers (either that or connected as auxiliary to the component), a DSL/cable internet connection that doesn’t fluctuate during heavy traffic. A 16-inch LCD flat screen is an alternative. USB, Bluetooth, infrared, a DVD rom, a CD-RW drive, 120gigs of happy disk space, 2ghz processor, 1gig SDRAM, a user-friendly GUI Linux OS, if not MAC OS. Anything but Windows. It would just screw everything up.

A cordless phone that doesn’t fuck up after the guarantee runs out.

A Pioneer compo that could read everything from vinyl, cassette, VHS, ACD, VCD, to DVD. 200-watt 4-way speakers for that ultimate surround experience.
All of them are connected with each other.

A mini-ref that could fit in five 1.5-liter bottles of rootbeer. A bathroom that has a sink, a toilet, a medicine cabinet, a bathtub, and a shower.

Who needs airconditioning when I could just pull up the window and let the sun shine in?

Once acquired all of these, there is no need for me to leave that pad.

-----

Now, the hard part. The budget.

A unit in Providence costs a million bucks. For now, I could bring along my PC (who could at least play Sid Meier’s Civ 3) and the sofa bed I am using in Imus.

The component I have so far needs a lot of fixing… nay, I need to buy a new one. If only I could its speakers to replace the standard one that came along with the packaged set. It couldn’t even say stereo even if you poke it with a ten-inch knife.

The tv might cost 50-grand. Maybe even more. Is there anyone selling a TIVO in this country anyway?

The PS3 or XBOX2 might reach around the same price as the tv.
A computer with those specs could reach 150-thou. The phone might go for 10g’s.
I don’t really know how much a component or a mini-ref costs. If I do plan to live in the woods, a ticket to England and the stress of acquiring a visa would cost more.

-----

To fulfill my dreams, I should have P1,311,000 in the bank. That doesn’t count the monthly utilities… and taxes.

Someday, my child. Someday…

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?