8/01/2005

The all-UAAP entry

UAAP men's basketball appreciation list

DLSU (appreciation rating: +24) – this shouldn’t be explained anymore.

UP (appreciation rating: +21) – two things. One, it is composed of former Archers, and you know that used-to-be Archers rank high in my list in any league. Two, my cousin is in the training team, I think, and a teammate of his back in UPIS, who is a cousin of my brother’s friend almost made the cut.

UE (appreciation rating: +13) – one word: Pumaren. Nuff said.

AdU (appreciation rating: +16) – it’s a surprise they are still this high after Luigi Trillo was unceremoniously evicted from the men’s basketball team as its head coach. May be because
Xyldrae is hanging out with the ahem… boys.

FEU (appreciation rating: +10) – it’s all about Koy Banal. After he left, I couldn’t find any reason to cheer for the Tams this season. Plus the fact that they still have Anton Minola, este Montinola, as UAAP board member. Then, there’s the animosity from last year. Makes for an interesting rivalry.

NU (appreciation rating: +5) – out of respect, I put the Bulldogs higher than UST because of Manny Dandan. Their team still sucks, though.

UST (appreciation rating: +10) – our ‘relationship’ has deteriorated through the years. Gone is Aric del Rosario and the only reason I’ve been banking on the Tigers after Aric’s departure, Christian Luanzon.

ADMU (Appreciation rating: -10) – this shouldn’t be explained anymore.

-----

Two losses worth forgetting

7/14/05

It was one Thursday that would forever be relegated to the ‘bad memories’ part of my mind. See, it was so horrible I couldn’t even recall how it started. Oh, now I remember.

I was woken up when my mother said there was a brownout and I noticed that the fan was off. Thinking it was still early in the morning, I didn’t mind the perspiration settling in as long I could get more zzz’s along the way.

I finally got out the bed when my mom was tinkering with the computer while the fan was still turned off. I was grumbily thinking while half awake, "Who ever turned off the friggin’ fan?"

I asked what time Meralco decided to cut the electricity, my mom replied at about 11am. I looked at the clock and it read 11:30am. That sure felt like eternity.
Then I went down for lunch and a serving of Eat Bulaga. Bulagaan is my dessert, yes. Turns my brain to mush. Just like yogurt. Healthy.

For some strange reason, I had the tummy willies. Went two trips to the bathroom just to dump. One was before lunch, one while taking a bath.

The reason why I was going out, I told my mom, was to buy some school stuff since I feel so disorganized writing notes on a rain-soaked pad of yellow paper. Plus the fact I was running out of yellow paper. Then I mentioned I would be proceeding to the Blue Eagle Gym afterwards to watch some UAAP basketball.

But before handing me my ‘bookstore’ money, she sermoned me on this and that. Murphy 3, JP 0.

Dumb moment before I continue. Exiting the Katipunan station of LRT 2, I turned left instead of right. Because of that, I had to cross Aurora Boulevard to reach Ateneo. Murphy 4, JP 0.

As I entered the gates of Ateneo with the school buses and some Ateneo kiddies blocking the entrance, I could hear the drumbeats from afar. Somehow, this elicited some nostalgia from me. It’s what Sid Venutra described as that retro feeling in his column in
ubelt.com

Aaah... memories. A time when basketball was pure. And I was referring to the late 80s-mid 90s when Silverstar was covering the UAAP games and Joaqui Trillo and Jude Turcuato were the only commentators. This was after the short shorts era and during the Archers’ bridesmaid finishes.

Arrived just in time to watch the second half of the UE-NU men’s basketball game. Couldn’t concentrate on the game because the drums were echoing in the hollow gym. Or maybe I’m just relishing 'classic' basketball.

Nothing to talk about in the NU-UE game. Nothing unusual there. But the drums do sound louder this time. Or is it because I’m sitting in the section just in front of the screen where they drums?

Anyway, as the first game ended, my stomach started acting up again. I really had to go. As I was dumping my souvenir in the archetypical of a rest room, I had a good and bad feeling at the same time.

I hate it when I catch myself shitting in a public place. All I have is tissue paper, and when bad luck really kicks in, there’s no soap on the sink and water coming out of the faucet. At the same time though, it feel good dropping my version of the H-bomb in Ateneo. Let’s just call this a tie. So far, the score stands Murphy 5, JP 1.

Saw Sid Ventura on my way back. Talked a little about the Maroon Archers.
By now, you already knew what happened. Vainio and company got their redemption while the Archers suffered their first loss of the season. And the refs stank like shit somewhat. Murphy 6, JP 1.

Since the Gang Green were not really in the mood to party, although they were planning where to dine, I was out of their way since they would be heading south while I’m going to Cubao. At least I had fun with them.

Then, Gateway. Yes, I had to give this mall one run through. Unfortunately, after endlessly going up and down the entirety of the mall for about an hour, the only bookstore there is Fully Booked and they don’t sell school supplies. The only other bookstore, the one located at the ground floor near the Aurora exit, doesn’t sell anything, although I found several interesting titles.

However, no one beats the selection Fully Booked has. They have everything. Fiction, sports, comics and graphic novels, self help, and these shwanky humongous greeting cards. Remind me to purchase one for an August 23 occasion.

It’s not a delight to walk around a mall for an hour and not find what you are looking for. I had to push myself to SM Centerpoint to proceed to the usual National Bookstore. Murphy 7, JP 1.

Good thing though is that I caught them open still, but I was already starting to become short on funds. Just enough for me to go home and pay my stash. I satisfied myself with this one set of itsy-bitsy filler-type notebooks, which turned out to be one of those types that wasn’t stapled or stitched in the middle. Murphy 8, JP 1.

I lost by a blowout. Not good.

7/17/05

When you feel you were asleep for eight hours but when you look up at the clock and you were in slumber for just five hours or so, something odd is bound to happen.

That trip to Tagaytay after the untimely "HF reunion" proved to be eventful, especially when I expected myself to be home by Sunday early morning, but ended up sleeping in Joyce’s house instead. I arrived at 7-ish, was greeted by my mom with a stern look and lots of harsh words. Went straight to bed, expecting myself to wake up at about 2pm.

Seems that my body clock has adjusted to school mode already. I woke up less than five hours later and I couldn’t return to sleep.

Ate lunch, watched the last six rounds of the Bernard Hopkins-Jermaine Taylor championship bout, dressed up, and went to Gateway Mall to meet up with companions to the DLSU-UE men’s basketball game (events not in order).

Had an agreed grace period of one hour, so I was in no hurry to proceed to Cubao, although I arrived there a quarter to three. Caught them just as the buzzer sounded, so to speak.

These companions of mine are obvious first-timers. They took every hand-me-out given to them at the entrance.

Seems that these two have a hidden agenda. For five minutes, I was already seated in the Gang Green gallery. The next moment, I find myself on the floor of the Blue Eagle Gym. Saved my throat for another day. Sucks.

They brought their camera with them and took pictures of every hunk they see. That includes Mika Vainio of UP, Elmer Espiritu of UE, TY Tang and Macmac Cardona of DLSU-M.

Groupie alert. Now you know why I am on the floor five feet away from the sidelines instead of being with the Gang Green at the Upper Box section.

Then July arrived. Hooray. More courtside companions. At least, I have someone to talk ‘real’ basketball with, if you know what I mean.

The Maroons handily won against the lowly NU Bulldogs. The Gang Green were applauding at every mistake Vainio did. And there’s something in Vainio’s eyes I didn’t see before. Imagine a bull seeing red. In this case, imagine Vainio seeing green before him. Same thing.

After the game, I went looking for the press room since the statistician didn’t want to provide me a hot-from-the-printer statsheet. I didn’t get the first game’s stats, but I did get to see coach Maynard Ballecer and he introduced me to The Coach Joe Lipa. His nose isn’t that as big when you see him in personal.

Gave him the sheepiest grin. I couldn’t even mutter words. Seems I still respect the guy. It’s just that his stint in Ateneo ‘tarnished’ his reputation. You know Ateneo, they are like Midas. Anything they touch, becomes sucky afterwards. Look at Banal, Arespacochaga, and soon to be, Black.

I invited coach Maynard to watch the second game. He declined, reasoning out conflict of interest. I just had a gut feel something was about to happen.

The UE-DLSU started out as exciting. Neither team giving the other an inch of advantage. What do you expect when you have two brothers, believing in the same philosophy, coaching the opposing teams?

It was 10-all midway the first quarter. Five minutes later, it was 17-10 in favour of the Red Warriors. End of first quarter.

Ryan Araña scored a basket to make it 12-17. Then it was 14-17. The Archers were already ahead by three when East scored their first point of the quarter, some three minutes remaining. The Recto-based squad made their first and only field goal with just ten seconds left before the halftime buzzer sounded. Halftime, 24-20, De La Salle ahead.

After the usual halftime show, the Red Warriors tied the game, and then went ahead, 27-24. After that, the Archers retaliated. It would go on and then came that blatant goal tending non-call which infuriated the DLSU-M crowd.

The Gang Green and the alumni surely let the referees have it by jeering at them in between quarters. Expletives they were throwing.

Calls like these, or the lack of it, can make or break a team both literally and figuratively. Moments later, University of the East was already ahead and the green and white squad was playing catch up.

Minutes winding down, UE on top, 57-53, OJ Cua scored a three to cut down the deficit. UE ball. 24 game seconds passed by. No successful attempt coming from the Warriors, the buzzer was barely audible, the red light behind the backboard lit up to signify that the shot clock has run out.

Since the speakers were directly behind, I could hear the court barker turn on his mic to announce the violation. He stopped in mid-sentence. Still no whistle from the refs. At least four seconds passed by before some semblance of order was restored.

Finally, Green Archer ball. Duty foul by Robert Labagala. Earn Saguindel was sent in and so was Joseph Yeo. Ten seconds to win. Yeo drove at the right but was met by Mark Borboran near the paint. Getting pinned at the sideline, he spotted Jun-jun Cabatu behind the three-point line at quarter court.

After receiving the pass from Yeo, Cabatu faked a three, drove him, and encountered resistance. He then kicked it back to Yeo at the same area where he was and with the clock nearing zero, "The Ninja" hoisted a desperation three. In then out. Scramble for the ball. Game over. UE gallery was whooping it up.

Coach Dindo was already congratulating the Archers while his team was celebrating at the other side of the court. Alma mater hymns. Waited for stats. Met a furious Gang Green. It was so ‘hot’ in Ateneo, had to look for cooler atmospheres. Ice cream sounded nice.

Had to choose between accompanying Jade and Aubrey to their ride home or coming along with July to ‘celebrate’ in Shakey’s. The stomach prevailed over chivalry.
The Ice Cream Bar. A missed opportunity the last time me and the family went to that same branch. Now’s the chance.

It indeed looks romantic sharing ice cream, but as July said, "There’s a big difference between romance and hunger." Amen.

At least I now know where to bring a date whenever I feel like a cheapskate and romantic at the same time.

The chocolate and sugar high sure made us feel better. Made us not feel bad about the loss. Chocolate releases endorphins, remember.

Was quite amazed that almost every store there accepts credit cards. I remarked, if you have a ‘manukan’ in front, expect to be paid using credit cards. Unlike Lasallians, LRTs don’t accept credit cards, neither do public utility jeeps nor buses.

Going back to the UAAP, it’s better that the Archers lose early rather than ran out of luck at the latter part of the basketball season. Besides, games like these, whether under review (read: under protest) or not, are character-builders for Joseph Yeo and the rest of the Archers. It is games like these that turn boys into men. Conscripts to warriors. Archers to snipers.

Since losses also make a team’s weaknesses more glaring, here are some observations on the Archers:

- Rico Maierhofer develop the confidence to finish strong when being heavily guarded. He should also improve his mid-range jumper. More upper body beef can also help in his inside game.

- With the departure of Cardona, Ryan Araña is obviously given the green light to shoot. This is evident since he is attempting more shots this season. Now is not the time to miss those gimme-back cut-reverse layups.

- Props to JR Aquino and TY Tang for having the most defined biceps in the team.

- Freethrow shooting has improved, making most of what the picky refs give us.

- Mark Benitez, where were you during the offseason? You haven’t improved an inch. Even Maierhofer has surpassed you in terms of development.

- OJ Cua is slowly getting his old confidence back. So is Cholo “the Michael Jordan of San Agustin” Villanueva.

- Props to Jun-jun Cabatu. He is the Archers’ only “big man”. And he could play the point position also. Magic Johnson and Scottie Pippen rolled into one.

- Props to JVee Casio for keeping his relationship with his girlfriend going strong still.

- What’s up with Yeo? “The Ninja” could not be found the first three games. His draft stock wouldn’t improve if he continues playing apprehensive.

- Lionel Rivera looks like Patrick Cabahug. They also have the same body type.

- Kish Co and Peejay Barua would eventually get their minutes. Just continue on working and it would eventually pay off. Look at Eric Arejola.

- Did I miss anyone? I hope not.

-----

DLSUAAP

If only things didn’t change that much and Luigi Trillo is still head coach of the Adamson men’s basketball team, think of this possibility. The Pumarens coach two of the UAAP men’s basketball teams. Then, you have the UP Fighting Maroons souped up by former La Salle Greenhills players, plus the fact that Lito Vergara was the former basketball coach of the Bengals... or is it Greenies?

Finally, you have Trillo. Think of the possibility of having four teams in the Final Four and the common thing among them is that either they are coached by a Lasallian or have former Green Archers playing for them. How cool is that?

Welcome to the De La Salle University Athletic Association of the Philippines or DLSUAAP.



How strong is the De La Salle-Manila men’s basketball program? It seems that they are not just feeding players into the PBA, they are also filling up lineups of other collegiate teams. Let me count the ways.

You have Mike Gavino, Mica Vainio, and Mike Padolina in the UP lineup. Then you have Chris Cabatu and Martin Urra currently playing for the CSB Blazers.

Other than that, PJ Walsham returned from Australia and is now training with the Archers once again. Tim Gatchalian is just waiting for his time to shine and we still have that Betrovic guy redshirting. Oh yeah, ever heard of that Indonesian guy named Ferdinand which San Beda threw into the trash bin because the arrogant Tiger Cubs were bullying him?

Guess what, after Betrovic, LSGH has another project playing for them. Three guesses where he would end suiting up for in college.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?