12/05/2006

PBL Silver Cup appreciation list

The thing with this conference’s PBL is that there is no solid team for me to back up. Sure there are a spatter of former Archers and former Blazers in the league, but they are so scattered, I could not form any bearing of allegiance. Thus, the relative non-excitement and non-anticipation of what is going on.

Yes, I still keep myself updated but I would not really whoop it up if one team wins. It was actually easier to build the list from worst upwards rather than the usual best preferred downwards.

1
TeleTech Titans – this is one team I actually like because of its philosophy, and to a certain extent its coach. It is because of Jerry Codiñera and team consultant Robert Sison that give the Titans its defensive identity and spunk. Plus they have kick-ass shooters that could make it to the PBA at any given time. Add to that former Archers Albert Tirona is assistant coach and Paul Chua is team manager.

2
Harbour Centre Portmasters – the de facto ‘Lasallian’s team’ just because its owner comes from the green side. Well and good. I expect their elevation to the PBA anytime soon now. The recent addition of JC Intal just bolstered their stock, but it is not because of him I favour the team. There are still resident hustle demons in Jerwin Gaco and Ryan Araña to watch out for. And did I mention that Erick Arejola is team manager? Oh yeah, Chico Lanete has been relatively well-behaved since the start of the season.

3
Sista Super Sealants – they are actually more ‘Rain or Shine’ than team Benilde. And whatever happened to Samigue Eman? So, what is a lineup composed of people I do not know doing this high in my list? Easy. Process of elimination.

4
Hapee Teeth Sparklers – there are just UE Warriors everywhere. TeleTech have Robert Labagala and Elmer Espiritu, Harbour Centre has Earn Saguindel, and Hapee has Mark Borboran, Phillip Butel, and if I’m correct, Jurel Cañizares. Talk about another form of ‘Pumaren Magic’ working on. Have I mentioned that even though Joel Dualan is playing second fiddle on the bench, the PCU core is in the roster. Jason Castro, Beau Belga, Ian Garrido, Robbie David, and Lei Mar Navarro compose some of the Dolphins in the squad. Plus the partnership of Paul Moreño and Castro in the backcourt is fun to watch.

5
Magnolia Spinners – a hybrid of old school FEU and current San Beda players, this is essentially a Koy Banal team. Which then makes me wonder why things are not working for them so far this conference. They have Sam Ekwe, Yousif Aljamal, Pong Escobal, hell even Jonas Villanueva and Gerard Jones. They are already stocked in all fronts.

6
Toyota Otis Sparks – remind me to get used to watching a Letran team without a Ronjay Enrile, Boyet Bautista, and Aaron Aban in the lineup. This is just so weird.

7
Kettle Korn Tigers – they are supposed to have Pop Kings as a moniker. Don’t they have better taste? Even if stocked with UST alumni, they are finding life hard in the PBL. Which makes me scratch my head… or maybe not. I somehow see this coming. But I did not expect it to be this bad. Winless since taking the UAAP men’s basketball championship. Bad, cheetah.

8
Cebuana Lhuillier-Pera Padala Moneymen – a team you would love to hate. They have two of the Three Kings, plus they have overweight (and surprisingly overachieving) Ken Bono, and a head coach that does not know what he is doing. They just make me laugh. Props for bringing back Ramil Tagupa, though. I miss this guy.

9
Mail and More Comets – this is just so wrong. First of all, they are moonlighting in two leagues. And I just do not get who is backing them up. One NBC conference they are called Bacchus-Harbour Manila, then at another time, they are referred to as Bacchus San Juan. In a different dimension, they are the Mail and More Comets. Even if they have JR Aquino playing for them, they still the bottom of my list.

|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?