5/01/2009

The UAAP/NCAA bias meter

I am a sportswriter and when covering events, I should be as objective as possible. Therein lies the conflict when the league I am covering involves institutions I am or was directly involved in or connected to me in some manner. Either those or I just grew fond of the team through time.

In summary, the former is bias by default and the other is bias by acclimation. But it is just natural, is not it? Besides, I could control my writing so as not to show apparent subjectivity.

Now, here is my bias list for the coming collegiate sports season. Take note that their seniors or men’s basketball team takes considerable weight over the school’s other programs.

1
De La Salle University-Manila – as in like duh! There should be no arguments with this one.

2
De La Salle-College of Saint Benilde – but of course, it is natural they would be in second. Go De La Salle Philippines! Represent!

3
Colegio de San Juan de Letran – have somebody show Cedelf Tupas this entry. So that he is not accusing me of being biased for the wrong team.

4
Jose Rizal University – it is near from my house, the campus is improving, and the basketball program is thriving. You can see the dedication that they want to change the image of the school from a supposed hopia factory. Or maybe not. They just made an acronym out of it (Highly Outstanding People in Action).

5
University of the Philippines-Diliman – one reason is that I like the UP Cheering Squad more than its rival. And there is also the girlfriend factor.

*nothing follows*

Labels: ,


|

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?